Friday, December 23, 2011

The Future of the WWE is Now!!


Hello wrestling fans. A few weeks ago, I was asked by my good friend and follower of The Wrestling Fans Review, Sheena, what were my predictions for the future of the WWE? The New Year is almost here and after seeing the picture of all the new champions, I couldn't help but be inspired to talk a little bit about the young talented Superstars of the WWE.

Divas Champion, The Glamazon Beth Phoenix
Let’s be honest, the WWE Divas are Barbie’s. The Divas of Doom, Beth and Natalya are the only two actual female wrestlers in the WWE. Everyone else, I’m sad to say, are more "eye candy" than they are "in-ring performers." I haven’t actual sat and watched a Divas match, since the Divas wrestled in thongs and had occasional "nip slips." So I believe Beth Phoenix is a great Divas Champ.


Tag Team Champions, Air Boom
I actually like Air Boom. I honestly believe the match they had with Primo and Epico on WWE TLC was a perfect example of a great tag team wrestling match. Maybe even the best match of the night, in my opinion. I’m assuming they didn’t know what to do with Kofi Kingston and Evan Bourne (aka Matt Sydal), and decided to put them together as a tag team. But they do have great chemistry, agility and their "high flying" styles go well together.


I like Primo and Epico. They’re cousins, so they have great chemistry as well. Jack Swagger and Dolph Ziggler are good too, but I see other plans for Dolph. The Usos have great chemistry too, since they’re twin brothers. They also are keeping that Samoan legacy alive. I honestly hope they bring back more tag teams.

U.S. Champion, Zack Ryder
We all know charisma is a huge factor in becoming a top superstar in the WWE. Zack Ryder has a whole lot of charisma. I’m glad he's the U.S. Champ. His "Z, True Long Island Story" show is not only hilarious, it also lets some of the guys show their skills, cutting promos.


#Heel, the Showoff, Dolph Ziggler cuts amazing promos and I believe is definitely a potential for a spot as a top heel. I've said it before, I see him as the new Shawn Michaels when HBK first started as a heel. HBK was cocky and had his "cougar" valet, Sensational Sherri. Dolph has Vickie Guerrero and is coined, "The Showoff." Plus, they both sell for their opponents so well. I also believe Wade Barrett has potential to be a top heel. His rivalry with Randy Orton is pushing him to a higher level. Jack Swagger could be better but I don’t know why he's being held back. Sheamus is good too, but I don’t know if him being a baby face will help his career.


Intercontinental Champion, Cody Rhodes
Ever since Cody Rhodes was with Legacy, he was always my favorite. The simple fact that he wrestles without kneepads shows his "old school" trained abilities. He's the son of The American Dream, Dusty Rhodes. He has big shoes to fill and I believe he's making a name for himself. And I love, love, love that Cody brought back my favorite championship title design. The one, that the greatest of all time, the Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels made famous, the white classic IC belt. Cody has what it takes to be great.



World Champion, Daniel Bryan (aka the American Dragon, Bryan Danielson)
My earliest memory of Daniel Bryan is from Ring of Honor and other Indy shows. His hard work really paid off. The kids love him because he's such a "white meat baby face" but he still has the respect of the hardcore wrestling fans because he's such a great wrestler. I’m so glad to see him as the new World Champion.


The Miz is another guy who gets held back. If you notice, The Miz is like the new Rock. The Miz, The Rock. The Miz is wonderful on the mic, delivers catchphrases, and also idealized The Rock. He's good but can be better, and live up to being the most "must-see" superstar in the WWE. Alberto Del Rio has charisma as well. But I must admit, his promos have gotten very repetitive and can be crucial to his career.


WWE Champion, CM Punk
I see CM Punk as the new Macho Man Randy Savage. Kind of an "anti-hero," more like Randy Savage than Stone Cold Steve Austin. Having that "anti-hero/rebel" role makes him loved by the hardcore wrestling fans. Not to mention, the fact that we've followed his TNA, Ring of Honor, and Indy career. His famous "shoot" promo, shot him straight to top superstar status. I only wonder if the WWE office would accept a tattooed/pierced CM Punk as the "poster-boy" for WWE. Only time will tell.  

-Ernesto Heleno Jr.

Disclaimer

All WWE programming, talent names, images, likenesses, slogans, wrestling moves, trademarks, logos and copyrights are the exclusive property of the WWE and its subsidiaries. All other trademarks, logos and copyrights are the property of their respective owners.